The Bo-kaap Civic and Ratepayers Association is a volunteer, public, non-profit organisation that is actively working towards an inclusive, equitable, safe, secure and vibrant Bo-kaap where our priceless and irreplaceable heritage and community life is respected and preserved, where new developments are appropriate, low-scale and sensitive, where all our pressing social issues are addressed, where every person has decent housing and there is no overcrowding, where our young people don’t have to leave and where our elderly are all taken care for, where the environment is taken care of and respected, where we have excellent sport facilities, parks, community halls and gardens and other essential community amenities and where we continue to work together as a cohesive, inclusive community and where our differences and diversity give us strength.
Gentrification and extractive, inappropriate development are big issues in the Bo-kaap. We have a dedicated advocacy website – http://www.bridgesnotbarriers.co.za – where we provide detailed information on current and proposed developments. The Bo-kaap is made up of the area between Strand and Carrisbrook Streets and from above Buitengracht Street to Signal Hill. Bo-Kaap boundaries are:
- Carisbrook Street: on the corner of Buitengraght and Carisbrook: -33.926707,18.410575
- Strand Street: corner of strand and Buitengraght street: -33.918874,18.418696
- Upper/ lower Buitengraght street: -33.920913,18.417162
- Signal Hill- place just under signal hill road: -33.919486,18.400778
- Strand Street:Strand Street Quarry: -33.916423, 18.415541